Sunday, July 24, 2011

New To You: Future of TV is at risk

Congress is currently considering action that could threaten your local TV.


Some in Congress seek to reallocate some TV channels – through a process known as spectrum incentive auctions – to other services, and it could impact your ability to receive the local news, public safety information and the high-quality programs you value.
We want to ensure that this action does not rob TV viewers like you of the valuable services local stations provide. We also want to ensure it does not hinder innovations taking place in TV – like free, local TV on your handheld or new HD programming.
Tell your members of Congress to ensure that action on this issue does not harm your free, local TV including the news, emergency information and entertainment you expect and deserve.
Here is the Open Letter to Congress below:

Dear Congressman or Congresswomen,

As a constituent who depends on local television, I urge you to ensure that policies currently being considered regarding spectrum auctions do not harm my ability to receive local news, emergency information and entertainment.

Each day, I depend on my local television stations for information and content that's important to me -- whether it's my favorite TV program, the latest community news or the weather report. During times of emergency I know I can count on my local stations to provide me with up-to-the minute information to keep me safe.

Many stations are also offering additional free channels and increasing HD programming -- some are even rolling out free, local TV for mobile devices. But I'm concerned that decisions made by Congress about how the airwaves are used could hinder this innovation.

As Congress considers action that would impact free, local television, I urge you to ensure that TV viewers like me are not denied access to the services we currently receive and those on the horizon.

Credit: The Future Of TV

No comments:

Post a Comment